Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup - Makes about 8 cups
1 TB olive oil
1-1/2 c. chopped onions
1 c. each: diced carrots and diced celery
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. each: dried marjoram and dried tarragon
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
6 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 c. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. uncooked orzo pasta (or rice for gluten-free)
2 c. chopped cooked chicken
1/4 c. fresh chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables start to soften - about 5 minutes.
- Add thyme, marjoram, tarragon, and turmeric. Mix well. Add broth, lemon juice, bay leaves, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add orzo and simmer 5 minutes more. (If using rice instead, you will need to simmer a bit longer until it is tender).
- Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes more to heat through.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.